The H.I.V. & A.I.D.S. Basics & How you Get it?August 18, 2011 2:05 pm
THE HIV & AIDS BASICS, & HOW YOU CAN GET IT!
WHAT IS HIV?
HIV, stands for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. It is the virus that causes AIDS, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
WHAT IS AIDS?
AIDS stands for the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. AIDS is caused by the HIV virus. It takes an average of 10 years for a person who has HIV to develop to full blown AIDS. When a person has full blown AIDS, the virus has broken down their immune system to where it can no longer fight infections. The white blood cells in a healthy body usually can fight off most diseases and infections, but with AIDS, the persons white blood cells drop below a certain level and makes it very difficult for a person to get well, or fight infections and disease. This can cause a person to die. However, new medicines do help people live longer and healthier lives.
HOW DO PEOPLE GET HIV/AIDS?
- Sharing Needles (yes this includes tattoo needles)
- Unprotected Sex, (having sex and not using condoms)
- From and HIV infect mother who gives it to her baby during pregnancy, delivery, or while breastfeeding her baby.
WHAT FOUR (4) BODY FLUIDS IS HIV PASSED THROUGH?
- SEMEN (from males)
- Vaginal Secretions (from females)
- Blood (males & females)
- Breast milk (females)
WHAT ARE THREE (3) SEXUAL WAYS PEOPLE CAN GET HIV OR AIDS?
- Oral sex (using the mouth on a persons genitals)
- Anal sex (penis inside of the rectum)
- Vaginal sex (penis inside of the vagina)
HOW IS HIV & AIDS NOT TRANSMITTED?
Touching door knobs, sharing drinking cups, mosquitoes, touching, sharing the same toilet seat, massaging, holding or shaking hands, hugging.
Written by Angelique L. Sharpe
Trained Teen Pregnancy prevention, HIV, & STD Educator for Teens
Categorized in: L.A.D.Y. Inc. H.I.V., STI, & Teen Pregnancy Prevention Education